Exploiting the potential in our communities
LEGI aims to “release the economic and productivity potential of the most deprived local areas across the country through enterprise and investment, boosting local incomes and employment opportunities, and building sustainable communities.” To achieve these aims, local planners first need to know more about the economic activity levels and attitudes of businesses and residents.
Conducting a baseline study
Qa conducted a mix of qualitative and quantitative research to inform the baseline study. Face-to-face surveys were completed with 500 residents. 500 businesses were contacted by telephone. And four focus groups were carried out with local young people to assess their views on business and entrepreneurship.
LEGI planners in Leeds now have detailed information on economic activity levels and attitudes towards business and entrepreneurship across the city
The resident survey examined:
- current economic activity
- the aspirations of local people
- their qualifications and desired career paths
- intention to start a business
- awareness of business support options
- barriers to starting a business
- perception of the skills required to set up and run a business
- and perceptions of employment/self-employment opportunities available
Businesses were surveyed to collate and understand:
- key business details such as number of employees, business sector and type of ownership
- growth aspirations
- attitude to location
- and experience of business support services
Looking to the future
LEGI planners in Leeds now have detailed information on economic activity levels and attitudes towards business and entrepreneurship across the city. The results from the baseline study were subsequently compared with both the Yorkshire region and other areas of the UK to assess progress in the Leeds area. Both baseline and comparative data will enable planners to create new business support services which match local needs.
For more details e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01904 632039